Have a question you can’t find the answer to? We’ve got you covered with festival information and answers to frequently asked questions.
- Festival Dates, Hours & Location
- Festival Map
- Allowed & Prohibited Items
- Lost & Found
- Exit & Re-entry
- Security & Entry
- Lost/Stolen/Expired ID
- Valid Photo ID
- Age Restriction
- Consular/Foreign ID
- Food Options
Festival Dates, Hours & Location
Chasing Summer will be held on August 3 & 4, 2019
Our festival site is on the grounds surrounding the Max Bell Centre, located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Calgary is one of Canada’s most vibrant cities, known for its welcoming atmosphere. Although the site is situated near Memorial Drive, there is no parking at the site, nor is parking permitted in the nearby residential area. So please take advantage of the C-Train, which stops nearby at Barlow – Max Bell station, taxis or ride-sharing.
The gates will open each day at 1PM. The event will run from 1PM until 11PM each day.
Box office and will call hours will be released closer to the festival date.
We will release the 2019 map closer to the festival date!
Allowed & Prohibited Items
- A medium sized unframed back pack or messenger bag
- Rain gear (ie poncho or rain coat) – but please no umbrellas!
- Your favourite hoodie or sweater
- Comfortable shoes/sneakers
- Extra socks
- Sunscreen (no aerosol cans, please)
- A hat for shade
- A bandana
- A clear plastic water bottle (up to 1L) to use at the free water stations (no metal or glass containers, please) or Camelbak – either must be empty upon entry)
- One (1) factory sealed water bottle (no larger than 1L)
- A small blanket or towel
- A flag or banner (no poles or totems, please)
- Portable phone charger (nothing sucks more than a dead phone)
- A point & shoot camera with non-detachable lens
- Personal amount of commercially produced sealed food (such as chips, trail mix or snack bars)
- Sealed package of cigarettes but please smoke in designated smoking areas only
- No illegal or illicit substances, drugs, or drug paraphernalia
- No glass or metal containers of any kind (including refillable water bottles)
- No outside beverages including alcohol
- No weapons of any kind
- No object that can be used as a projectile, such as fireworks and glowsticks)
- No flammable or dangerous goods including aerosols
- No opened over the counter medication or eye drops
- No glow sticks (bracelets permitted)
- No water guns, spray bottles or misting fans
- No balloons
- No large backpacks or duffle bags
- No umbrellas, chairs, stools, large blankets, sleeping bags or tents
- No coolers or chilly bins
- No bicycles, skateboards, scooters or hoverboards
- No animals except for service animals
- No large chains, chained wallets or spiked jewellery
- No laser pens or pointers
- No musical instruments, noisemakers, megaphones or air horns
- No professional cameras or audio/video recording equipment
- No selfie sticks, camera or action camera poles
- No flag poles, sticks, or totems
- No Hula Hoops
- No long chains or spikes of any nature
- No drones or other flying vehicles
- No spray paint or permanent markers
- No footballs, soccer balls or other sports equipment
- No prams or strollers
- No homemade food in re-sealable containers
- No poi or fire dancing equipment
- No items that in the opinion of management/security that could cause harm or public nuisance
Please note – we take no responsibility for items surrendered at the gates
Lost & Found
Lose something at the festival? Check with the lost & found coordinator at the site box office on the following day to see if your item has been returned, or email email@example.com. If you have found something, please take it over to the Security office (located on the west side of the Max Bell Centre, by the outdoor porta-potties). Please be aware that we do not take responsibility for any items lost at the festival.
Exit & Re-entry
Unfortunately, for the safety of our Chasers, there is no re-entry to the event once you enter each day of the festival. Once you leave the grounds, you cannot re-enter until the following day.
Security & Entry
For the safety of everyone entering the festival, all patrons are subject to search prior to entry. Please review the Allowed & Prohibited items list for a stress-free entry process. All bags will be searched before entry. Persons that refuse to comply with the search policy will be refused entry into the event. At any time during the entry process if you have questions, ask for assistance from Festival Staff located at the front gates.
Please try to track down one of the other valid forms of ID as listed. Expired documentation will not be acceptable. There are absolutely no exceptions, so please plan ahead!
Valid Photo ID
Due to AGLC regulations, all Chasing Summer attendees must possess one of the following pieces of valid photo identification to enter the event:
• Alberta Operator’s Licence (Drivers License)
• Alberta Identification Card
• Armed Forces Identification Card
• Out-of-Province Photo Driver’s Licence
• Certificate of Indian Status
• Canadian Citizenship Card
• Permanent Resident Card
Unacceptable Forms of ID:
• School identification
• Consular identification
• Licenses issued in countries other than the U.S. or Canada
• Expired identification of any kind
• Birth certificates
• Xerox copies of any identification
• Fishing licenses
• Health Cards
• Temporary Paper State/Province ID
Chasing Summer 2019 is an 18+ event with site-wide alcohol service. Valid government issued photo ID is required for entry to the site.
Security will not accept consular identification, or a foreign government issued driver’s license (except for US drivers’ licenses or identification cards that are not expired, which may be used to grant entry into the festival). They will accept any foreign government issued passport provided it has a photo, name and date of birth on it. A passport can be acquired by scheduling an appointment with your local consulate office.
We aim to provide as much variety as possible at Chasing Summer. We team up with local partners to supply delicious options for many tastes and dietary choices. If you are a vendor interested in being a part of CSMF, you can request a info package here.
Yes, indeed! If you need cash, ATMs can be found around the site in the vendor village and near bar areas.
There is no parking at the festival site, and parking is restricted in the nearby residential area. We encourage Chasers to take the C-Train to the nearby Barlow-Max Bell station, or grab a lift with a taxi or ride-share. If you need to drive, we suggest parking your vehicles at a nearby C-Train station like Zoo, and riding over! And most importantly, do not drink and drive!
Getting To The Festival
We recommend using public transit for all Chasers. The Calgary C-Train is fast and convenient, and stops at the Barlow-Max Bell station just north of the site Many C-Train stations offer parking. For further info, please visit the Calgary Transit website here.
Taxi & Ride Share
Alternately, you can use a taxi or ride share service. There is a designated drop off and pick up zone along Barlow Trail SE on the south side of the site.
Of course, you can ride your bike to the festival site. You will be able to lock it up at the designated racks – but please remember we cannot take responsibility for it, so be sure to use a secure lock!
Leave the car behind
There is no parking allowed on the festival site at Max Bell Center Festival Grounds, and parking in the surrounding residential area is strongly discouraged, and may result in your vehicle being towed.
At the gates
Everyone entering the festival will be searched, without exception. Please review the permitted items and ID requirements listed above to ensure no unnecessary delays. If possible, plan to come early to avoid long lines at peak time – we want you dancing to your favourite DJ, not waiting to get in!
Before Buying Tickets
- Do I get a wristband with my ticket?
- What is a Ticket “Tier” (ex. Tier 2, Tier 3)?
- Is there a payment plan option?
- Can I purchase tickets over the phone?
- Can I purchase Single Day Tickets?
- Can I buy tickets through a third-party?
- Come across fake tickets or wristbands?
Do I get a wristband with my ticket?
Yes. This year, wristbands purchased online before July 29 will be couriered to you via Expedited Parcel – there will be no will call option for these orders. This will help prevent long wait times at will call and entry, so you’ll be enjoying the event sooner.
Wristbands will be sent out via Expedited Parcel approximately one month prior to the event. If you purchase your ticket after July 29th, you will have to pick up your wristband at the site box office during the festival.
There will be a $19.00 courier charge per order. To save on the shipping, try to purchase wristbands as a group so they can be shipped as one order. Please note that we can only send group purchases to a single address.
Please have your wristbands shipped to an address where you will be able to receive them in person, as the package will require a signature. If you do not receive your wristbands within 1 week of the event, please contact Front Gate Tickets support at http://support.frontgatetickets.com
What is a Ticket “Tier” (ex. Tier 2, Tier 3)?
Tiers can be more accurately called ticket “pricing” tiers. Ticket pricing tiers are our way of rewarding Chasers who purchase their tickets early. All tiers of the same ticket type are the exact same ticket. Early bird tickets are the best price, but when they’re sold out, we move to the next price level, Tier 2. And when they sell out, we roll into selling Tier 3. When Tier 3 sells out, we roll into selling Tier 4, etc.
Is there a payment plan option?
Yes! On the check out page, you will have the option to purchase your full order at that time, or you can purchase using a “layaway plan” for a non-refundable nominal fee. Purchaser must agree to the Layaway Plan Terms & Conditions. The last day to purchase a ticket using the payment plan is May 17.
The earlier you buy, the better your payment terms! Get your tickets before April 1, and you can get them with four easy payments!
For purchases made before April 1:
DEPOSIT (25%) – with initial purchase
FIRST PAYMENT (25%) – on May 1
SECOND PAYMENT (25%) on June 3
FINAL PAYMENT (25%) on July 1
For purchases made after April 1:
DEPOSIT (34%) – at purchase
FIRST PAYMENT (33%) on June 3
FINAL PAYMENT (33%) on July 1
Can I purchase tickets over the phone?
Yes, please contact our ticket provider, Front Gate Tickets or call 512-674-9300.
Can I purchase Single Day Tickets?
Single day tickets may come available prior to the festival. Please follow Chasing Summer on social media for updates.
Can I buy tickets through a third-party?
Only tickets purchased through the Chasing Summer website or Front Gate Tickets are guaranteed to be authentic. We do not want any of our Chasers to be scammed. Please be aware:
- We are not responsible for any counterfeit tickets or wristbands.
- For your own protection, please do not purchase tickets from any source other than chasingsummerfestival.com or Front Gate Tickets. Fake tickets and wristbands may look like the real thing but they will be identified by our staff at the front gates.
- Those in possession of fake tickets or wristbands – or ones reported lost or stolen – will not be admitted to the festival.
- In addition, wristbands are not transferrable; any wristbands visibly damaged by tampering will be considered invalid.
Come across fake tickets or wristbands?
Chasing Summer wants to stop ticket abuses and we need your help.
Counterfeit ticketing hurts everyone. It leads to higher ticket prices to cover losses, leaves fans stranded when bogus tickets are discovered, and causes delays at entrances as tickets must be closely inspected to uncover counterfeits. Persons selling counterfeit tickets are committing a crime and be subject to persecution, fines and jail time.
We are aware of many instances of counterfeit ticketing and are working hard to keep abuses from happening. But we also know there are even more out there and that new schemes are being devised daily. You can help us stop ticket fraud and protect your concert experience. If you would like to report an experience with ticket fraud, please contact Front Gate Tickets Support. Meanwhile, remember to purchase your tickets from a trusted source and be sure you have detailed documentation of your purchase when you arrive at the concert venue.
After Buying Tickets
- Can I update or check on my order information?
- I didn’t receive a confirmation of my purchase, what do I do?
- I have my wristband, but cannot go anymore, can I give it to a friend?
- I’ve lost my wristband, what do I do?
Can I update or check on my order information?
Yes! Once you have placed an order through Front Gate Tickets, visit chasingsummer.frontgatetickets.com and click “Sign In” at the top of the page. Once signed in, you can review or adjust information like your shipping address.
I didn’t receive a confirmation of my purchase, what do I do?
Your ticket confirmation email will come directly to the email used to purchase the ticket. If you do not receive this email, please check your spam folder. If it is not in your spam folder, please contact Front Gate Tickets or call 512-674-9300.
I have my wristband, but cannot go anymore, can I give it to a friend?
Only if you have not yet put the wristband on. Once you have put on your wristband, it is yours only to wear for the duration of the event. The wristbands are designed to prevent misuse or theft, and should not be removed. Wristbands that appear to be tampered will be confiscated at the gates. See below for more info about wristbands.
I’ve lost my wristband, what do I do?
If your wristband is lost or stolen, please contact our ticket provider Front Gate Tickets or call 512-674-9300 in advance of the festival for assistance.
- Official Policy
- What’s so special about my wristband?
- Wristband Info
- I put my wristband on early, and it’s too tight or got damage. Can I get a new one?
Each ticket buyer to Chasing Summer will be given a wristband. You must wear your wristband for the entirety of the festival, and cannot be given to anyone else. Any attempt to tamper or remove the wristband will make it invalid for entry.
What’s so special about my wristband?
Your wristband is your key to enter Chasing Summer. There is a security feature embedded on it that will be scanned for entry through the main gates, and entry into other parts of the site, such as VIP. Do not attempt to tamper with your wristband once you’ve put it on. Wristbands that have been scanned at the gates and then tampered with – such as an attempt to remove it and give it to someone else for entry the next day – will be deemed void and not replaced.
I put my wristband on early, and it’s too tight or got damage. Can I get a new one?
We understand, people get excited and want to wear their wristband right away. Just make sure to follow our guide above about putting on a wristband. But as long as your wristband hasn’t already been scanned at the gates, you could get a replacement at the box office for a fee of $25.00. You must provide proof of purchase and ID, as well as the original wristband. If your wristband has already been scanned at the festival, it cannot be replaced and you will need to purchase a new wristband, if still available.
Health & Safety
- Safety is our top concern
- Medical Emergency Services
- Everyone will be searched upon entry
- Please be prepared there will be a wait time to enter the festival
- Smoking and Cannabis
- Safety Staff
- Food Safety
- Zero Tolerance Policy
Safety is our top concern
Our festival staff will be patrolling the venue and entrance areas to ensure a safe and secure festival experience for all.
With the assistance of local authorities, our health & safety team have developed a comprehensive plan for as many contingencies as possible, such as sudden changes in weather.
It is important that all attendees come prepared for a weekend outdoors, and in the case of an emergency, follow any instructions given from the stage and over social media.
If you are in any discomfort or distress, or notice anything that you feel will cause a problem, do not hesitate to approach festival staff such as a volunteer or security for assistance!
Medical Emergency Services
Lots of things can happen when you’re outside at a festival – bee stings, foot sprains, bumped heads, scraped knees. That’s why we have a medical emergency centre inside the Max Bell Centre, staffed with nurses and physicians to help those in need. We also have roaming medical staff on the grounds, on duty throughout the weekend. Our event staff are also able to contact our medical team in an emergency. If you need any help, under any circumstances, do not hesitate to ask for it!
Everyone will be searched upon entry
You will need to empty your pockets and have all items examined. Security officers will be working inside and outside of the event. All laws will be strictly enforced. We reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone.
Please be prepared there will be a wait time to enter the festival
In order to expedite this process we have a few tips that will help with the wait-times.
- Arrive Early – why not enjoy the entire festival, you never know what people you will meet, and what artists you may discover.
- Plan Correctly for the Weather – pack a poncho or hooded raincoat
- Be Aware of the Rules – we have a list of Rules and Guidelines located here
- Ensure you have valid and up-to-date government issued photo identification – more info here
- Be Prepared to Have Fun
If you have to bring medication, please make sure to bring a valid photo ID that matches the name printed on your prescription. If you need to refrigerate any medication, including insulin, please stop by our medical centre and someone will assist you.
Smoking and Cannabis
Smoking is restricted to designated areas only.
A reasonable quantity of cannabis for personal use will be permitted, subject to any documented medical allowances – any amount deemed unreasonable by security will not be permitted into the event. Cannabis must be presented for inspection at the gates in a factory sealed, tamperproof package from a provincially approved and regulated supplier. Otherwise, cannabis and cannabis accessories are to be stored in a sealed plastic see-through container or Ziploc bag. glass containers and accessories are not permitted. Cannabis oils and cannabis-infused foods (i.e. edibles) are prohibited. Smoking of cannabis products (including vaping) is permitted within the event’s clearly designated smoking areas only. Event staff will be able to direct you.
Event staff will remove anyone who sells, purchases or supplies another person with cannabis and will report such activity to the police. Event staff are mandated by law to monitor use and consumption of intoxicants at the events, including cannabis – overuse will lead to removal. For more information on this policy please see the following additional information.
You can find our safety (aka security) staff roaming the grounds and positioned at each stage and gateway throughout the grounds. Our safety staff is trained to help make sure every Chaser has a good time and stays safe.
All Chasers will be searched upon entry to the site (which you should definitely keep in mind when deciding what to bring).
All of our vendors are licensed and approved by government health authorities. We work hard to ensure that our vendors are good and safe, as well as ensure there is a great variety of delicious options to suit most any dietary need.
We also offer free water stations at key locations on site. Make sure to keep your water bottle full all weekend, because Chasing works up a thirst and hydration is vital to your good health!
- Water equals life. We have free water readily available throughout the grounds to replenish your body and keep you hydrated all day long.
- On the dance floor, we’re all best friends. Keep an eye out for our volunteer rovers, medics, security staff, and Calgary Police, who’ll lend a hand if needed.
- Our staff, security and medics never judge, so talk to them if you need help or see someone who does.
- Those that get into drug or alcohol trouble at events are often with friends who don’t know what to do. The law protects you, so get help at the first sign of trouble.
- Take care of each other. If you see someone who could use help, don’t just walk by. Stop and talk.
- Let’s act responsibly. We are a community and we need to set our own boundaries.
- Burning calories requires energy. Make sure you take time to rest and eat!
- Vendors will be available if you get hungry throughout the day.
- It’s best to plan ahead so you have a safe and easy ride ready at the end of the night. Public transit via the nearby C-Train is available, and taxis / rideshare will be available along Barlow Trail SW.
- We care about you when you’re gone. Our culture is all about celebrating life. Keep the vibes positive and we’ll see you next time!
Zero Tolerance Policy
- Chasing Summer has a strict zero tolerance policy when it comes to illegal substances. There will be extra security at the door and security staff inside the site to ensure that Chasing Summer remains a safe and healthy environment
- Good harm reduction means we offer everyone help who needs it.
- Simply put, there is no safe drug, and no safe dosage. There are so many variables – the drug content, your body chemistry, how much water you drink, how long you dance without a break – that the best way we ensure everyone goes home safe is to say: no drugs allowed.
- We have trained medical professionals on site to handle emergencies – if you, someone in your group, or anyone else might be in distress, seek help from medical or security staff immediately!
- For our music and community to grow and continue, we need people to take care of each other. We want to create memories to last your entire life. Our most important goal is keeping our community positive for everyone
Be a Chasing Summer Ambassador
The Chase is coming, why not lead the way? We’re very excited to invite you and your squad to become Chasing Summer 2019 Ambassadors, and earn rewards like tickets, backstage experiences and more!
What is the Ambassador Program? The official Chasing Summer Ambassador program is for our fans. Sign up with your email address or Facebook account and start selling tickets to your friends right away!
How Does the Program Work? Bring your friends to Chasing Summer and earn points for every sale you make. Earn enough points to redeem a reward in the shop. The more points you get the better rewards you can earn.
What Are the Rewards? Rewards include free tickets, VIP passes, and even a chance to score side stage viewing for you and a friend!
In addition to the extensive schedule of entertainment and activities at Chasing Summer, there will be a variety of unique and interesting goods and services throughout the site. Each year, we are dedicated to selecting quality craft, merchandise and food vendors. The unauthorized sale of food and goods at the festival is not permitted.
For more information on how to apply to be a vendor at Chasing Summer, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
Please note: food vendor applications for Chasing Summer are now CLOSED.
Please contact email@example.com with inquiries.
If you’re looking for an exciting and unique experience at Chasing Summer, why not join our team of volunteers, who help in various roles behind the scenes. Plenty of perks, too! Follow us on social media for updates on when you can apply.
Check out the Volunteer FAQs for more info.
- What do I get for volunteering?
- What is required to volunteer?
- On the day I have an early shift; can I stay and enjoy the festival afterwards?
- When working an evening shift, can I enjoy the festival beforehand?
- How does the ProServe reimbursement work?
- How does scheduling work?
- Can I volunteer with my friends?
- Is there a dress code?
- Can I carry a backpack with me?
- Will we have access to food?
- How old do I have to be to volunteer?
- Is parking included? How do I get there?
- What if there’s an artist I have to see?
What do I get for volunteering?
In addition to the reward of being part of making this fantastic event happen, gaining work experience, meeting new people and making new friends, you will also receive a Chasing Summer volunteer t-shirt and the opportunity to enjoy the festival when off duty. Work a double shift and earn a meal from one of our onsite vendors! Volunteer for three shifts, and you could earn a pair of concert tickets! Plus, we will reimburse the ProServe fee for anyone getting certified after our program launch in June and before July 24.
What is required to volunteer?
All volunteers must have their Proserve certification and be at least 18 years or older at the time of the festival (photo I.D. required at check in). You are required to work a minimum of two shifts over the weekend, with at least one evening shift on either night.
On the day I have an early shift; can I stay and enjoy the festival afterwards?
Absolutely! You’ve earned it.
When working an evening shift, can I enjoy the festival beforehand?
Totally – in fact we encourage it – however we need some assurance you will report back when scheduled. In this case, you would be required to check an item of the approximate value of a single day ticket ($100). This could be cash, a cell phone, your current driver’s license plus a major credit card, etc. Check it at Volunteer Headquarters (HQ) when you arrive and pick it up when you return for duty.
How does the ProServe reimbursement work?
If you are not already certified, take and pay for the online course ($25) before July 24 in order to volunteer. Once you have updated these details on the portal, arrived on time, completed the shifts you committed to, and abided by festival and volunteer program rules and guidelines, you will be reimbursed onsite at the end of your final shift.
How does scheduling work?
Everyone will be able to self-schedule, choosing preferred shifts based on availability. Access and instructions will be shared with volunteers accepted into the program. Remember that everyone needs to work a minimum of one evening shift.
Can I volunteer with my friends?
Absolutely! Due to self-scheduling, we can’t guarantee that you will both be in the same assignment at the same time, but if you schedule together, this should be easy to accomplish. We’ll help wherever we can – because friends are awesome.
Is there a dress code?
All volunteers will receive a volunteer t-shirt upon check in for their first shift. You are required to wear this as your uniform while on duty, and required to change out of it when your shift is done. It is your responsibility to launder it so it’s clean and presentable for Sunday. Wear something comfortable in neutral colours on the bottom – pants, skirt, shorts – however no short-shorts please (buttocks showing). Closed toed footwear while on duty is also required.
Can I carry a backpack with me?
No. Volunteers are required to check personal items aside from what fits in your pocket (or a small fanny-pack). There will be a bag check at Volunteer Headquarters for while you are on duty only. Note that items are left at your own risk; we are not responsible for anything lost or stolen.
Will we have access to food?
Yes! Food and drink are integral parts of the festival and a variety of options will be available for purchase on site (including vegetarian). Any volunteers working 8 hours or longer in one day will receive a food voucher to redeem during a meal break. You are also welcome to store a small snack (no glass containers) at HQ (volunteer headquarters).
How old do I have to be to volunteer?
This is an 18+ event. Minimum age requirement is 18 at the time of the festival. All festival patrons and volunteers will be asked to show photo ID upon check in.
Is parking included? How do I get there?
Unfortunately parking is not included. We encourage everyone to take public transit. Visit the Calgary Transit System for schedule details.
What if there’s an artist I have to see?
We totally get it, but this means that volunteering is not for you. Grab some friends, purchase your tickets, and have a rad time. Although volunteers will get to enjoy some music, we can’t guarantee that it will be your artist of choice, and many people will need to be on duty while the headliners are on. So if you can’t miss out, opt out!
If you have a question we haven’t addressed, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Chasing Summer is happy to help – the festival site is accessible for Chasers with limited mobility or disability. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.